In an effort to motivate and challenge myself as well as to share and show my work with others in (almost) real time, I will post here, every Monday by 11:59 PM, one new piece created that week (allowing myself two weeks off for my honeymoon). When the calendar rolls over to 2011 I will have posted a total of 50 pieces. Whew! No time to chat, gotta get to work!

Monday, June 28, 2010

Week 26. "Moonbather" 30"x40" oil on canvas

Color, line and texture equal infinite possibility. With each painting I do there are things about it I love and there are other things that, although not bad, I would change were I to do the painting again. There are so very many good and usually surprising things that have happened in the work I've posted here this year. I say this with all humility because all of the best things, in my opinion, just happened. I didn't plan them. The challenge is to then take those good things and build on them. This is not easy to do. With infinite possibility comes an infinite number of results. Hopefully those results are positive. "Moonbather" is a "building on the good things" painting. It draws heavily on previous paintings like "Romeo and Juliet", "Summer's Cauldron" and "Electra". I definitely broke some accepted "rules of art" in it. With impish delight I decided to just totally ignore the light source which should be the moon. Instead I gave the bather her own light emanating from within her. Also, the moon-bather's hair splits the painting almost exactly in half. Separating a composition into equal halves is a big no-no. But guess what... it works. So much for rules.

No comments:

Post a Comment