In an effort to motivate and challenge myself as well as to share and show my work with others in (almost) real time, I will post here, every Monday by 11:59 PM, one new piece created that week (allowing myself two weeks off for my honeymoon). When the calendar rolls over to 2011 I will have posted a total of 50 pieces. Whew! No time to chat, gotta get to work!

Sunday, January 10, 2010

Week 2. "David As Goliath" 36"x48" oil on canvas


I've always been a bit ambivalent about the David and Goliath story. David is obviously the protagonist in the story and The Bible makes a point of telling us that David didn't use a sword to "slay" Goliath as though that makes a difference, but slay him he did. The Bible does say "thou shalt not kill". Maybe I'm taking it all too literally. Let's let it remain a metaphor. The meek defeats the mighty.

1 comment:

  1. This idea has been a struggle for me to try and wrap my head around as well, though I've been a Christian for practically my whole life. Through study and thought I've found that that commandment refers to MURDER, but not the killing that goes on during war, seeing as God frequently tells the armies of Israel to go conquer or kill a certain tribe or nation; or, in this instance, to defend themselves from complete slaughter. The reason David killed Goliath was both to stop the Philistines and to show that through faith, even a sheep-smelling, harp-playing teenager could defeat a giant, save his country, and show that God is more powerful than anything the world can throw up against you.

    ReplyDelete