In an effort to motivate and challenge myself as well as to share and show my work with others in (almost) real time, I will post here, every Monday by 11:59 PM, one new piece created that week (allowing myself two weeks off for my honeymoon). When the calendar rolls over to 2011 I will have posted a total of 50 pieces. Whew! No time to chat, gotta get to work!

Monday, March 29, 2010

Week 13. "Lady Bird" 12"x12" oil on canvas















A companion piece to "Queen Bee", "Lady Bird" can be seen at climate/gallery in NYC from April 3 to April 25. One thing that's fun about a smaller canvas is that when viewed online it's almost the actual size of the painting (when on a full sized monitor). I mean, even in this photo the paint itself can be seen very clearly. "Lady Bird" is all about juxtaposing the hard with the soft. Ladybugs (sometimes called ladybirds) have shells. Playful and colorful maybe, but still, hard shells. But they are called lady bugs. They don't sting people. They'll gently crawl all over you if you let them. So I put her under a leaf in mid-summer where the light is a soft incandescent green. No harsh light or dark shadows here.

No comments:

Post a Comment