In an effort to motivate and challenge myself as well as to share and show my work with others in (almost) real time, I will post here, every Monday by 11:59 PM, one new piece created that week (allowing myself two weeks off for my honeymoon). When the calendar rolls over to 2011 I will have posted a total of 50 pieces. Whew! No time to chat, gotta get to work!

Monday, March 1, 2010

Week 9. "The Travelers" 30"x40" oil on canvas

Every painting begins with an idea, sometimes very specific and sometimes just a vague outline. No matter how clear the idea is when I begin, my goal is never to produce the idea exactly. If I did I think the the final product would be static and dull. As a painting develops it begins to become it's own entity. It begins to dictate and demand what it will become. Mistakes happen and sometimes those mistakes take a fascinating direction. Sometimes what I had in mind doesn't work the way I thought it would. So as I work I must continuously step back and reassess what the next step will be. This was particularly true with 'The Travelers'. From the very beginning this painting took it's own course and I just had to go with it, hoping for the best. I do feel that the piece has a nice sense of immediacy. Look for the fish. I'm absolutely in love with them.

No comments:

Post a Comment