In an effort to motivate and challenge myself as well as to share and show my work with others in (almost) real time, I will post here, every Monday by 11:59 PM, one new piece created that week (allowing myself two weeks off for my honeymoon). When the calendar rolls over to 2011 I will have posted a total of 50 pieces. Whew! No time to chat, gotta get to work!

Monday, July 12, 2010

Week 28. "Slaves" 30"x40" oil on canvas

the Slave’s Mantra


I can tell that you think you’re more important than me
but I know that’s not true
because I know I’m more important than you.

I live in a better country
I go to the proper church
I have much more money
and went to a better school.

Every time I see you you get in my way
and I have things to do, so move,
because I know I’m more important than you.

I’m obviously more intelligent
and certainly more refined
I drive a better car
and this should be recognized.

I can tell you think you’re more important than me
but I know that’s not true
because I know I’m more important than you.

I’ve been told I should love my neighbor
as much as I love myself
but you really don’t deserve it
so I’ll make you suffer and keep my love on the shelf.

I can see you laughing and having fun with your friends
your acting like you love them
but you don’t even notice me.

Sometimes I hear a small voice that I can usually ignore
saying everyone is as important as me
and I’m the one that’s enslaved
when all I consider is me.

~HC

No comments:

Post a Comment