In an effort to motivate and challenge myself as well as to share and show my work with others in (almost) real time, I will post here, every Monday by 11:59 PM, one new piece created that week (allowing myself two weeks off for my honeymoon). When the calendar rolls over to 2011 I will have posted a total of 50 pieces. Whew! No time to chat, gotta get to work!

Monday, July 19, 2010

Week 29. "Persimmon" 18"x24" oil on canvas


I was seeing the color in my mind's eye. It wouldn't leave me alone. I had to do something with that color. Anything. But, somehow, someway it had to be put down on canvas and made to really pop! So that's what this week's painting is about. A color. A few minutes ago, as I began to think about naming the painting, I realized that that color is persimmon. Even if nothing else interesting happened in this picture I'd be happy just because I got the color out of me and on to the canvas. But other interesting things did happen. Ah... the triangles! No, not the obvious triangles. If the viewer were to block out everything and see only the woman's skin, her face and neck, they would be seeing a triangle. If all the viewer were to see was the fabric of the woman's clothing that also makes a triangle. Then there's the other half of the canvas, also a triangle, which is made up of the persimmon background. And yes, there are many small triangles. But we can't stop there. The shape of the woman's nose and the shape of the back of her neck where it meets her neckline echo each other as if she's going in two directions at once. The shape of her forehead and bust are also very similar. There are repeating shapes all over the place! Plus, there is texture all over the place. There is movement all over the place. And last but not least there is the color persimmon. Can you almost taste it? I wish you could see the real thing. Sometimes it takes weeks for me to fully digest one of my own paintings and then I can start appreciating it. Sometimes the payoff comes right away. I finish and I love it. It doesn't happen often. It's great when it does.

No comments:

Post a Comment