In an effort to motivate and challenge myself as well as to share and show my work with others in (almost) real time, I will post here, every Monday by 11:59 PM, one new piece created that week (allowing myself two weeks off for my honeymoon). When the calendar rolls over to 2011 I will have posted a total of 50 pieces. Whew! No time to chat, gotta get to work!

Monday, September 6, 2010

Week 35. "Scylla and Charybdis" 48"x24" acrylic on wood

Scylla and Charybdis, according to myth, were both sea nymphs who were turned into sea monsters and together created an impossible straight through which to sail. If one is said to be "between Scylla and Charybdis" then they are between two equally undesirable options or dangers. At least that's the most common understanding of the myth. Personally, the story reminds me to never say die. There is always hope... unless you give up. I don't have any idea why this story popped into my head this week. This is my second week rediscovering acrylic paint and really working it and seeing what it can do. I thought painting water would be a good test. It was. It is much more difficult to paint water with acrylic rather than oil. Nevertheless, I really enjoy some of the effects that happening in this painting. There's an echo of traditional Japanese painting in the waves. The colors are appealing and I love the whirlpool in the lower left hand side.




No comments:

Post a Comment